Dave already posted about this but I sort of feel the need to post my perspective. This was definitely not the way I expected Friday to go down. Thankfully I was in the backyard and very close to them when all this happened. I've let the reins out a bit this summer and the kids have been spending time in the backyard playing while I try to get stuff done inside. But Friday around lunch time, we were all out back. I was sitting on the slide braiding some yarn for a necklace for the kids. The kids were playing on the swing set. Very typical. They were running and grabbing onto the rings, swing back and forth, letting go and landing on their feet. Except Hailey didn't. I heard a thud and a snap and I looked over and heard Hailey shriek and grab her arm. The tears were coming and in one of my not so great mom moments, I rushed over and looked at her arm, which was bent upward in the middle of her forearm and said "Oh my gosh, your arm is broken". And I'm pretty sure those words scared the tears away, and probably scared this 5 year old half to death. Truth is, I've never had a broken bone or even seen one for that matter.
Though I didn't go crazy panic, I think I remained somewhat outwardly calm, my insides exploded. No idea what to do. Do we stay still or go inside? Do I ice it? Do I take her to the hospital myself or call an ambulance? Can I get her in her in her car seat? Can she hold her arm for the 20 minute ride to the hospital? what if something happens on the way, can I help her if I'm driving. Can it break more? While all that is going through my mind I see major panic in Tyler's eyes, flowing with tears, jumping up and down not knowing what to do. I asked him to get some ice. Haley started standing up so I just went with it and we both held her arm as we made our way inside to the couch. First call was to Dave. What in the world do I do? Do I drive her in or do I call the ambulance? Tyler is flying around the house carrying and repeating over and over and over "I don't want her arm to be broken, I don't want her arm to be broken. He's hysterical and tears are pouring out of his eyes. Bless his heart he ran and got his shoes on and and his blanket and bear and coat. I had him running errands for me. Find this shirt, find my purse, look for Hailey's kitty. I am so proud of him and all he did to help and keep himself going. In one of my other not so great moments I did tell him to "pull himself together". Because although I understood his concern and panic, I could not help him at that moment and his tears were stressing me out. Not to worry, I apologized later that night and we had a good laugh over it. Meanwhile Dave told me to call 911. Pretty sure it was purely out of the panic he heard in my voice.
The ambulance was there within just a couple of minutes but meanwhile Hailey is as white as a sheet. She has gone from saying owie owie it hurts (how do you respond to that by the way. I know honey, I can only imagine!! Your arm is nauseating to look at and I can't image anything more painful. Didn't say any of that of course). Anyway, she has gone from being scared and talking about how bad it hurts to saying nothing and shaking uncontrollably. Then her eyes started drifting to the side and up. Just and more panic was setting in the ambulance arrived. She answered question and they put an air splint on her arm and off we went. She sorted of drifted in and out on our way to the hospital, no going unconscious but her body definitely taking her to a place not so present. Occasionally she would look up at me with concern and say it hurts mommy. Heartbreaking. The EMTs offered to give her something to make the pain go away but she decided the pain of a broken arm was better than the idea of having a needle poked in her arm.
Thankfully Dave was able to meet us at the hospital. I sort of figured we'd be whisked right in and they would get her arm in a cast as soon as possible. I mean it can't be good for it to just sit like that right? Well, we were whisked right in. The doctor came in and it turns out he was someone that Dave played football against in High School. So while they were reminiscing about the good old days I wanted to say "hello! broken arm in front of you...she's 5....and in pain..... However, my urgency to fix her arm would have to wait because they wanted to sedate her for the realigning of her arm and that meant she had to go 3 hours without food. So we had a 2 hour wait on our hand. During that time my poor girl had to just sit there with her arm dangling by her side still turning my stomach every time I looked at it. A few hours later we left the hospital with Hailey's arm in a temporary sling. And through it all Hailey did not cry once (which was potentially my fault). She was so brave. Actually, the thing she found most painful was when that had to take the tape off her arm where the iv was. She never has been good with bandaid removal.
Saturday, she woke up and when I asked how she was she said "I feel just like me but with a broken arm". There was relief in voice. She probably spend all yesterday worried her life and person was forever altered. She's managing like a champ. She even practiced writing and coloring with her left hand. She's one tough girl.
Of course Kindergarten starts tomorrow and she broke her right arm. Timing is everything, right? But I imagine it won't phase her too much. Hopefully her perfectionism will give herself a break here for the next few weeks. She's already as determined as possible to do everything by herself, even with her broken arm.
Gymnastics is obviously out for a while and she is sad about that. She had also just started soccer. And while I'm sure real soccer is out as well, we are wondering if she might be able to at least go to practice and work on foot drills or something. Hailey is a girl on the move. I can't imagine her staying still for the next 8 weeks. She's already going stir crazy.
 |
| on route to the hospital |
 |
| we were all happy to see Dave |
 |
| waiting, waiting, waiting...but getting ready. You can't really see the break from this angle. I'll spare you tht picture, it still makes my stomach drop |
 |
| fixed, temporarily....the doc said her arm is not perfectly aligned yet and they may have to do further work when she gets her cast on.....can't wait. |
 |
| look at this little trooper...tough girl! |
 |
| back to normal on saturday |
 |
| first day as a lefty |
No comments:
Post a Comment