I think I can officially call Tyler a reader now. I'm still waiting for him to LOVE books as opposed to thinking of them as homework.....but i think we are on the verge here and maybe this summer will do it for us. Last week Tyler came home and said he and several other kids in his class are ready for chapter books so he has a Jack and Annie (Magic Tree House) book at school he is reading during their silent reading time. And then of course he'll get to take an AR test on it. I think chapter books will be his gateway to book happiness :). I think the stories will now be long enough and a more interesting that they will satisfy him a little more. That's been our big challenge with his reading so far this year. He just doesn't find them very interesting. He loves the topics and learning but it's just felt like homework for him. I was all over his excitement for chapter books and we headed to the library to pick a couple of chapter books he can work on reading over spring break.
One of my favorite moments recently was watching Tyler sit in his room and read (all by himself) an Ironman book I brought home from the library. Usually when Tyler reads it's reading aloud to Dave or myself. But he was excited about this book and wanted to be by himself and read quietly. Definitely a milestone!
As a side note, he made top 3 AR earner for the 3rd month in a row at school. Way to go Ty!!! You make your mom proud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment