Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Little Rest

We've been a napless family for a while now (It seems only I would really like to have a nap each day....not that I've ever gotten one). You may remember a post a while back where I mentioned Hailey had given up her naps or perhaps more accurately I've been encouraging her not to take naps. She generally falls a sleep so much faster when she doesn't have one. As a side note, we still haven't solved her night time waking. Even if she has a little nap it seems to keep her awake an extra hour or two at night. The problem is, this girl loves her binky (yes another big change that needs to happen soon). And the truth is she really does love taking naps. So generally around nap time I hear, "Mommy, I need a little rest". Then she takes herself upstairs, gets her binky and hangs out on her rocking chair and reads books or sings songs or whatever. It looks a little something like this:
ok, this is her not wanting her picture taken but notice her book choice
Batman is her favorite

This is how she likes to "rest"


Than maybe 20 minutes later she comes back downstairs and is ready to continue her day.


But some days I notice that it gets a little quiet upstairs and I go up to find this:

Can this be comfortable?

Or this:
This definitely can't be comfortable.
There is at least a foot gap between the chair and ottoman and her buns hang right off the chair.
not sure why the color is funny on this
but yes she does have her lights on and it doesn't stop her from falling asleep
At this point I usually feel bad that she was able to fall asleep in such an uncomfortable position and I let her sleep for 30 minutes to an hour (depending). Of course about 10:30 that night I'm wondering why....why did I let her nap? Why can't she nap and still fall asleep? Why does she love sleeping during the day but hates going to sleep at night? I often go into her room and tell she needs to close her eyes only to hear her say "I don't want to sleep, I don't want to close my eyes". Why? Why? Why? Will getting rid of her binky solve all our problems? And how painful is that transition going to be. Remember the two weeks or terror when we tried that before. The hours upon hours of crying and her falling asleep standing in her crib? Eeesh. Maybe mini naps on the rocking chair aren't that bad. Maybe.

No comments: