Sunday, April 17, 2011

Phillies

That's right.  T-ball has begun.  Tyler team is the Phillies.  Tyler is loving it, or at least the idea of it since they haven't really done much yet.  It helps that his best friend Jack is on his team.  And they both seem very able players.  They should be a great catch playing pair.  Here's hoping the quickly learn how to catch as well as they throw :). 

We've really only had one practice (the second one was rained out - even under cover if that tells you anything about how awesome our weather has been).  There was catching and hitting (batting?  I need to learn my proper Baseball terminology.  Games will be entertaining to watch.  The skill level is all over the board and so are kids' attention span.  During the first practice they rotated in different groups to work on batting off the T, catching, and hitting off the coaches pitches.  I had told Tyler ahead of time to tell his coach he hits and throws hard.  I thought his coach should be warned.  I was standing all the way across the field at the playground where Hailey was playing.  I was watching his coach pitch to the group ahead of Ty's.  He was kneeling on the ground and pitching and the rest of the groups teammates were standing back to catch the ball.  There was lots of swinging and not much hitting.  When Ty's group got up, I was a bit nervous. Did he warn his coach?  I saw the teammates take on small step back.  I said my prayers.  Thankfully Tyler missed the first couple of swings ( I think the batting helmet took some getting used to).  But then sure enough BAM, there was contact, and the ball went flying.  Thankfully it sailed over top of everyone and was not a line drive into the coach (why Dave is now the exclusive pitcher in our family).  This is where it gets fun for Ty, he loves batting.   He really likes catching too.  Not sure how he'll feel about the actual games.  We are just hoping to make it through the season without Tyler injuring any distracted, unfocused, bored small children standing in the outfield.

I will post pictures once we get some decent weather around here.

No comments: