I wish I could remember the exact age that Tyler started drumming but at this point all I can say is that Tyler has loved drumming for a long time (though less than 3 years :)). We discovered early on that he had a great sense of rythm and would drum to the beat of songs. The older he's gotten the harder he drums. From the beginning Tyler has had an industrial strength drum. It's a dishwasher soap can from Costco.....only because it was cheap and convenient at the time. He started out with a couple of small sticks but has since graduated to real drum sticks. Man, does he hit hard. It was never an issue with our drum but at my mom's last summer he broke right through some "real" toy drums. Well, earlier this year Tyler actually broke one of his drum sticks in half while drumming. And not long after he cracked the top of his industrial strength drum. I'm not sure what we are going to do when he gets stronger. He still loves to drum LOUD to music and it's also a great tension release for him when he is feeling angry. Yesterday, Dave got some funny video of him drumming. We got out the camera and took a picture of the broken stick and drum (which is still used as the drum....we just flip it over to the other side).
This is how the drum stick used to look

One drum stick....two pieces
The unbreakable drum....that broke
Do you think he drums too hard?

These are the videos that Dave took. I don't know if they prtray the true live experience but here you go. The first is his drum solo to Chick Magnet (should I admit our kids love this song). The second is some speed drumming.
Drum Demo - Chick Magnet
No comments:
Post a Comment