Thursday, August 21, 2008

Rainy Days

We had a couple of rainy (but warm) days this week. The kids weren't really interested in going outside at all so we spent the days indoors. I used every idea I had to keep them entertained and could barely last the two days. I didn't realize just how much time we've been spending outside. I am now terrified for winter. I have no idea what we are going to do with ourselves. It is very apparent that we have two "outdoors" kids. We've spent this summer running, biking, swinging, and doing all other things physical. I could see an instant change in attitude when we were inside all day. Tyler especially was grumpy, whiney, and all together rascally. He was all over Hailey, grabbing her, her stuff, trapping her, and generally aggrevating her. I suppose this is where parenting multiple children comes into play.....I just need to figure out how to do it.

So along with many toys, cars, etc., we spent our rainy days building forts, constructing, and playing with the computer (alpabet game on starfall.com). Tyler built a huge fort in the living room that all three of us fit in. Ty and I played with it for about an hour and half one day while Hailey took her nap. Once Hailey woke up she had a blast literally falling into it head first off of the ottoman (not to worry she was landing on soft pillows).

The Fort which survived the attack of many monsters
Can you see Tyler peeking?


Starfall.com has an alphabet game for kids. Tyler really likes it. More than anything it gets him used to using the mouse (or touch pad on the laptop in our case) and "clicking" on the letters, arrows, etc. Tyler will actually spend quite a bit of time working through letters and is even getting pretty good at some of the different games involved. When I am trying to make dinner and he is going crazy, the computer is my saving grace. It usually keeps him entertained long enough for me to get things together. Hailey has become a computer monster. She's totally addicted. I can't even sneak in the office to check my emails during the day any more. The minute she sees one of us at the computer she comes running over and wants to be in our laps, pushing buttons. And when you don't let her.......wow, does she get mad (and loud)! To her credit, she has mastered left clicking and as long as you can get the mouse to right spot between her rapid clicks, she is a happy camper.

Tyler at work....Hailey trying to be happy watching

I can do it myself!


Grandpa John recently gave Tyler some "real" wood and screws to play with. It was actually at my request because Tyler always wants to use Dave's screwdrivers (guess it's our fault for having a couple in the pencil holder on the counter). The minute he gets one in his hand he is at the light switch plates, trying to unscrew the screws. In a moment of brillance, I thought it would be a good idea to get him some wood and screws that he could play around with and do whatever he pleases. I on the other hand could relax and not worry about him disassembling the house. Tyler loves the "kit" that Grandpa put together for him. He loves making things and you can see the satifaction of using the real thing instead of his plastic tools/screw drivers. Of course he has already asked if he can try the drill.........

Constructing

Finished product

Another master piece

Again....monkey see, monkey do

No comments: