Hailey learned all her letters and sounds really early (before she was two). So I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that she is already starting to read. We have some early reader books (thank you Tonya, Julie, and Kaylee) meant for Ty that Hailey just loves. She's only three so it's not perfect but she is really good at sounding out all the letters in the words and then smooshing all the sounds together to say the word. I've been beyond impressed multiple times. She is really able to say almost all the three letter words and even some of the bigger ones. But she also has a very good/quick memory. She can pick out words she's seen/heard but not read before. She's great at identifying Costco and I can no longer have the name Word Girl or Umi Zumi show up on the DVR listed without her calling out that she wants to watch it.
I was very surprised the other day when she picked up this book (which we have never read or looked at before) brought it over to me and said, "Big Pig and little Pig" with a big smile on her face.

Tyler on the other hand doesn't want to be bothered by reading. He would much rather be read to. My take on his position (assuming I could read his mind, which I can't).....why should I work really hard and take a long time to read "Dot can hop" when someone can read Harry Potter to me." Though he has made an effort on a couple of occasions after being peer pressured by Hailey. "Mom, how come Hailey can read?". But more often than not I hear, "mom, just read it to me".
No comments:
Post a Comment