Tyler is really becoming quite a good reader. I am very pleased with his progress this year. And while he still won't pick up a book and read and he still says he doesn't like reading I see the gap closing. He's able to read more complex words and stories. The books are slowing becoming more interesting to him. And his nightly homework of reading is just enough to commit him to having to read every night....this really really helps. I personally find it fascinating that at the beginning of last year he didn't know a single word. No he can read pretty much anything IF he's willing to put in the effort. A couple of weeks ago they started their AR reading at school. This is going to be good for him. Each week on Monday they get to pick a book at their "star" level. They read the book three times at home and then they take a test on the computer. If they get 100% they get to move on and and up in book levels. It's like a competition with yourself and the rest of your classmates. Guess who thrives on competition. That's right, Tyler wants to be the first one to take the test each week and he really wants to get 100%. So far he's succeeded two weeks in a row. This may be just the challenge he needs!
I can't wait until he can start to read chapter books on his own. I think then he will really love reading. Of course I think he'll always prefer being read to, he just loves lying on his bed or building legos and just listening to a story unfold. You can see his mind processing the whole thing.
We can check in at home and see how they are doing on their reading tests at school. We can't see the questions but we can see their score and their reading level.....except I have no idea what the reading level # actually means. Way to go Ty!
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment